Friday, August 06, 2004

First post in what may be a waste of time...

Greetings, salutations, and any other well-wished words that I could hurle at you through the ether that is the internet.

So...I understand the premise of all that is "blog-dom", but what exactly is the point? I guess the point, to me, is to get something written down about how I feel about certain things at a given point in my life.

Here goes...welcome to the thoughts of my mind.

On July 25th, I turned 28 years old. That's never happened before and, unless I'm in some Bill Murray...Groundhog Day existance, it will never happen again. What is is like being 28? I'll tell you! It's exactly like ti was when I was 25, 26 and 27. The only difference is, you're supposed to act a little older, sound a little wiser and look a little grumpier. Well, I've got the grumpy part down pat now...it's the wisdom and actions part that keeps throwing me for a loop. One of these days...

Which brings me to my next topic.

On July 27th, my great grandfather, Charles Straub, died at the age of 98. Ninty-Eight years old. I can't even imagine the things that he saw throughout his life. Two world wars. The depression. The Space Age. The Computer Age. The transistor. Television. Silent movies. The list goes on and on. He always said, "I'd like to life another hundred years to see how we make it out of the mess we're in." One day, I hope to be a wise man...one day, I hope to be as wise as my grandpa Straub.

Something I think is funny. People get into routines that they just don't want to get out of. Take, for instance, the ladies I work with (aka "The Oldies") go to Peking (a local Chinese food place) EVERY Friday for lunch. Today, I had the audacity to ask if we were going somewhere else for lunch. You would have thought I had asked them to give me all the money they had! "NO! We ALWAYS go here to eat on Friday! You know that!" Well...excuse me for wanting to live a little.

This weekend is going to be pretty boring, I think. The only thing I have planned to do is clean my apartment. What fun! It's so lonely living by one's self. I can't thinkn of anything worse than going home to an empty house...knowing that it's going to be empty no matter how long I stay there. What a delightfully depressing thought. I guess I'll end with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home