Sunday, October 29, 2006

As Promised...Part 1


As promised, I’m going to try to explain a lot of the things that I’ve been thinking lately in the hopes that I can explain not only my thoughts, but also why I may or may not have responded to things that have happened lately. Furthermore, the opinions contained here-in are mine and mine alone. I have not been coerced into putting anything that I’m about to type by anyone other than myself. That being said, let’s talk…

I’m worried about how things are going here…and by “here” I mean “America”. To me, America has changed from a Democracy (however flawed) into a Theocracy (or a system of government based on or heavily relying on a religion). Do I think this is what was originally wanted by our founding fathers? No…I think this is one of the main reasons that the “Separation of Church and State” was so important to them. They came from a place with a state sanctioned church (the good old CoE). Is it right for our present government to base law on a) their personal beliefs or b) the beliefs of whatever religious group they belong to?

Perhaps this is one of the joys of being in control of a nation…you get to mold it into your image. You get to make your thoughts and beliefs (or, more likely, the thoughts and beliefs of whoever pays you the most) into law so that those that believe the things you believe and think the things you think are now a part of the “In” group. Personally, and this will come as a surprise to some of you, I don’t really care what the “In” group wants, thinks, believes or anything. I am, as we all are, an individual. I am entitled to my own opinions, thoughts and beliefs. What I AM upset about is when one special group or another tells me what I need to do to fit in with their group…even if I don’t want or care to.

As an example, why should one person care what another person chooses to do with their life? If two gay women in Vermont want to get married, why is it the government’s business to tell them that they can’t or that they shouldn’t? Why should they choose to define something so simple as “love” or “marriage”? Is a gay woman or man any less capable of loving someone just because of who they choose to love? I say, in a loud voice: “No.” The government has NO right to tell anyone who they can or can’t love. Furthermore, a religion based on “love your neighbor as yourself”, “do unto others” and “those who live in glass houses” really should do more to follow their own rules than trying to tell other people where they’ve failed, where they are going wrong, or how they should live their life.

I think if I were to have to classify myself (you know how we humans are…we always have to feel like we “belong” to a group), I would say I was a Centrist. I don’t agree with a lot of the things that Republicans believe, but I don’t agree with a lot of the things that Democrats believe either. Depending on the issue, I pretty much just make up my mind based off of what I feel. Some would call that sitting on the fence…but I call that being a Centrist. Maybe I made that up…I don’t really know for sure.

As for my views on religion…I’m going to write about that next time as I’m rather burnt-out at this point. Seriously, post your views…I want to know what you think – but don’t be offended if I choose to disagree. After all, if you have a right to your opinion, I have a right to mine.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I agree with 99.9% of everything you said. Obviously the issues facing this country go much deeper that a simple post and/or reply could comprehensively address, but I do believe that you address many of the major issues. While I agree with your issues on Gay marriage, I can also concede some to the ideas of the opposition. Because marriage is an institution with it's roots deeply embedded in the church, I can see where some would be offended at idea that the term "Gay Marriage" might carry some of the same religious connotation (as opposed to a strictly secular connotation of civil union). If the government were to sanction only civil unions between citizens (be it man woman or horse - Roman Reference) and let the church determine what does/does not constitute a religious "marriage", then I think that would further define the separation between church and state and help to diffuse the political aspect of the debate (and place it rightly in the religious area where it belongs). I personally have no problem with Gay marriage, after all, they have every right to be as miserable as the rest of us. I agree about your ideas about the separation of church and state, but I really doubt the sincerity of the religious motives of the administration. I perceive them to use religion as a "cover" for their actions so that they will carry favor with some and serve as a distraction to the real motives. I like the response of one general I saw in an interview answering a question about the war on terrorism, he said" Terrorism is a tactic and not an enemy, and you can't win a war against a tactic." The whole situation in Iraq has devolved into a gigantic mess, and I don't see an easy way out. Of course we want our troops to come home, but let’s be honest, the real reason we invaded was for the oil, and if we leave, then we'll be handing it to the enemy. Until we have a real initiative to move us to renewable energy in a specified timeframe, the idea of giving that oil to our enemy is a little irresponsible as well. If our troops are really over there dying for oil, I think we should at least take the proceeds from the oil companies and distribute them to the real people doing the work, the soldiers and their families, and the reconstruction of Iraq. Not that it would replace a lost loved one, but I do think it would go a long way towards making things as "right" as we can. As long as a Texas Oil man is in the white house, I don't think we'll ever have a real energy policy that moves us towards renewable energy, and for our country to get out of Iraq and get back on the right track, I think it would be a good place to start. I'm "typing" a little "off the cuff" here, so please bear with me a little. The current people in office have created so many problems and so many messes, I'm tempted to say "vote them all out," republican and democrat alike. I believe that the people of Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, and most other countries in the world have more in common with the American people than our President and the current administration does. I think most people just want to take care of their own and make it through the day, but the politicians and the ideals of religion often times get in the way and cause conflict. I am still a devout Christian, but after the 2004 election (and the events that have followed) and seeing religious groups endorse a particular candidate, and seeing politics using religion and religion playing right along, I am burnt out on man's interpretation of religion. I also have done a lot of investigation about 9/11 and have noticed that there are indeed many unanswered questions, not that I would draw any conclusions, but there are many simple things that have not been explained to my satisfaction (insert obligatory conspiracy nut comment here). I see real problems with the direction this country is going and it has caused me to question my government (and at times my faith) more than I ever have before. Given the current state of events and the lies, manipulation and distortions that have led us here, I see little reason to believe anything that my government tells me, but the fact that others are also questioning as well, and are openly debating the principals of government in a clear and rational and energetic manner give me reason to hope and help me sleep at night.

-webmaster

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey tech! I read your posting with much enthusiasm. I have to disagree with the country becoming a theocracy. The founding fathers were men of faith and knew that the unique system of government that the US has, would only work if people of moral character were involved in the governing process. I encourage you to read George Washington's farewell address. Give you much insight into the founding fathers ideas on morals and the country. I do believe that they understood needing a seperation of church and state. But at what point have we gone too far? I can no longer say "merry Christmas or happy holidays" at work because it will offend non-christians. Holiday implies "holi-day" and therefore is also "offensive". Political correctness is a good idea gone really bad. I would say that the liberals are leaching their way of thought into everyday American life. I too disagree with politicians using their religous affliation to get elected or re-elected. I am aware that John Kennedy used the fact that he was Chatholic to his advantage. I am a registered republican, but am growing weary of the spinning of facts. I would also like to point out that democrats are in no way any better. They are just as bad in all ways. Pink Floyd asked "Mother can I trust the Government?" back in 1979 during the Carter administration. People also felt Kennedy was un-trustworthy during the Cuban missle crisis. My point is that 99% of politicians are sleazy and only interested in getting re-elected. As for the situation in the middle east. As a member of the US Armed Forces and having served on an attack submarine in Iraq, I will say that the media does not tell the whole story. CNN, FoxNews and the others only report on the stories that they want to. I have friends in Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 23 in Harrisburg PA. The unit just sent 20 members back to Iraq. For some of the guys in this unit, this is their 4th or 5th time back to Iraq! I would also like to add, that NOONE in NMCB 23 was forced to go, they all VOLUNTEERED! For these guys to VOLUNTEER to go back into combat duty for the fourth of fifth time is amazing to me. There are also Marines at the Harrisburg reserve center that have volunteered to go back to Iraq. These guys tell me that the situations is getting better with everyday. I can only hope that good will come of sending American's into harms way in a foriegn land.

On the issue of gay marriage I am torn. Jesus said to "love the sinner, hate the sin". I don't feel that the government has done anything that the people have not consented too. If the people of Vermont want gays to be able to marry, then great. But don't think that the people of another state have to recognize the marriage! What one state does, is its own business. That's why we have a republic and not a true democracy.

I welcome comments, bitches or concerns. I smile brightly everyday when Americans stand up and exercise their right to think and speak freely. I only ask that everyone respects others rights to think and believe differently than they!

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to be offensive in any way, but why must moral character and religion be mutually exclusive characteristics of our elected officials? Is it not possible to have a semi-or non-religious political leader of great moral character? Likewise is it not also possible to have a "religious" leader who is morally bankrupt? Also I'm very pleased to hear of the positive news in Iraq, and I deeply appreciate the service of our men and women in the armed forces, but my bone of contention is the reason for sending these men and women into harms way has never been adequately explained. I understand that it is somewhat beside the point now since we are already over there, but unfortunately the same idiots who send them there for the wrong reason in the first place are the same ones still running the show and setting policy. I'm not one for rewarding incompetence and the current administration should be held accountable. The security of our nation exists in a very precarious position where the citizen soldiers must be required to be ready to serve when the call is made and not "question why, but do or die." On the other hand it is up to the non-military citizenry to hold the leaders accountable and ask the questions why and ensure that our citizen soldiers are not unnecessarily put in harms way. On this point I feel that that we, the poeple, have failed our forces in Iraq. We have not insisted that the leaders send enough troops and ensure that they are adequately supplied and ensured that the reason that these people have put their lives on hold and in some cases sacrificed their life is for the right cause. Meanwhile the oil companies are racking up record profits and and the political leaders are busy making excuses. That kind of sh!tty leadership doesn't cut it in the military, and it shouldn't cut it in politics either. After all of the spin and excuses and distortions and lies of omission, it's high time we held these people accountable (all of them, Rebublican and Democrat alike) and set up some sort of procedure to ensure that it doesn't happen again. As for the politically correctness, I whole heartedly agree. If someone doesn't want to hear the term Merry Christmas, then close you ears or go somewhere else. We get so involved providing for accomodations for everyone so as not to offend and we very quicky cannot see the forest from the trees. As I said before most people are just people, and if we could forget about our differences a little and show a little acceptance (within reason) then I think we will all be better off.

-webmaster

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home