Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Week...and Little-Known Facts


Greetings and all that from Montana. Once again, I want to let everyone know how things are going so far here as we begin our new life, plus I want to leave everyone with some little known (and just learned by me) facts about Montana.

Groovy and I have both spent the last week and a half getting things squared away such as banks, insurance, vehicles, schools etc. It’s been interesting to be able to mentally throw away lists that were begun weeks (if not months) ago. One area of concern for me was my truck which had been residing at Tomasa’s house since we left and was supposed to have been picked up the day we left. The day we arrived here in Missoula, the truck was picked up and was supposed to arrive 7 days later. Unfortunately, there were unforeseen issues with the truck that it was being delivered on (at one point, the Wyoming Department of Transportation actually pulled him over and wouldn’t let him continue until he got something fixed).

Finally, on last Saturday, the truck was delivered. I was happy. We were going to Helena to spend the weekend with Mr. and Mrs. EPA as well as Mr. EPA’s parents, so I didn’t have any time to climb around the truck to check it out and such. Well, yesterday groovy and I decided that we would take the truck to Wal-Mart. The truck started really rough and ran rough and was barely responsive when I pressed on the gas, but I honestly thought at that point that it was because it hadn’t been driven in 3 weeks. We got to Wal-Mart and got our groceries. Upon loading the truck, I got back in and turned the key. The engine turned over several times, but never caught. “Um…that isn’t right,” I said to myself. I checked everything that I could and groovy even had the Wal-Mart auto repair guy come out with a battery pack to make sure it wasn’t the battery.

After about an hour, we decided that it would just have to be towed to Midas. I got a truck squared away and went back out to my truck, sat down inside, put the key in the ignition, turned it…and it came to life. We decided that we better get it to Midas before it died again or something. It was there until this afternoon. The problem? Apparently, there was something wrong with one of the computers in the truck in that it was not supplying ample oxygen/fuel mixture to make the truck start and run smoothly. Well, the Midas guy reset the computer (even with car computers, all it needs is a good boot to the head…wait, I mean reboot) and it ran fine. A potential $400+ fix it job (assuming the fuel pump was bad, as I had been) ended up costing me only $42. Thanks Midas!

We are officially Montana motorists now (so watch out Montana folks…not that anyone from Montana reads this blog…erm…)! Groovy and I spent about 20 minutes longer than we should have (sorry…my fault) getting our new licenses. Tomorrow…we fight the registration and title folks. Joy.

Well, other than hiking up almost to the top of Mt. Sentinel (the HARD way…of course…stupid easier path wasn’t marked) and exploring downtown, it’s been pretty dull here (which has been GREAT!)…so on to some obscure Montana facts!

1) Montana is the only state that I’ve ever been to that when road work is being done in a particular area, they physically remove the whole road (all the way down to the gravel foundation…and yes, both lanes). I’m guessing here, but I think they have a huge warehouse somewhere near Butte where roads are resurfaced 2 lanes at a time so they can be put back in place at the same time when they are done.
2) Mountains are measured from the peak to an imaginary point somewhere under the mountain that corresponds with the rest of the area, not, as one would guess, with the path that one would hike along to get to the top of said mountain. I know for a fact that Mt. Sentinel is almost a mile high…but I swear we went almost twice that far and still didn’t make it to the top.
3) While hiking in mountains, there is an inverse relationship between the altitude and the amount of oxygen that is available to be breathed. If you are hiking with friends, be sure to sabotage them in some way so that only you can continue on. This will be the only way that you can make it to the top. I know that’s why neither groovy nor I made it to the top of Mt. Sentinel.
4) Driving 3.5 hours for some B-B-Q ribs, while sounding insane, is really not that big a deal…especially when the ribs that you eat are some of the best that you’ve ever eaten. Please bear in mind that this 3.5 hours was spent driving at the speed limit and not in traffic. I know Mr. Audio and I drove to Dallas once from Ruston just to see a movie. This was no different a situation, and was equally enjoyed. Oh, and Buffalo is a choice on the majority of menus.
5) When you go to get your mail for the first time, you go to the Post Office (even though you have a mailbox at the place that you live). While there, they never once ask you for ID or any other sort of proof of who you say you are.
6) The weather here hasn’t been consistent enough for anyone (including the weather people) to get a clear idea of what is going on or what will go on. Take today for example: The wind was from the East at 10-15…then from the West at 20, then from the NW at 15 then back from the East at 10 and has gone back to being from the West at 10 just to confuse everyone. On top of that, it was, I’m not exaggerating here, 86 degrees not 2 hours ago and I, without air-conditioning being an option in this apartment, was complaining about being hot. As I write this, it is now 67 degrees. Tomorrow, the high…just to keep everyone guessing…will be 59.
7) The final thing that nobody bothers to tell you before you move to Montana is that the sun has a mind of its own. It comes up around 5:30am and I promise you that I could have taken a picture of the setting sun last night at 10:30pm. If that isn’t weird…I don’t really know what is.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Montana fact that I learned on my visit there are that the streams and rivers are almost completely fresh and unpoluted (unlike the stuff here in LA). But they do caution you to be careful not to get giardia (http://www.doh.wa.gov/topics/giardia.htm) as it is possible to contract when drinking from fresh streams and rivers up there in the wilderness. Montana also has a national park devoted to the battle at Little Big Horn (http://www.nps.gov/libi/), I also recommend visiting the site if you get the chance. It was amazing to see the tomb stones that were placed in the area and to walk the battlefield. For more Montana facts, go here: http://www.50states.com/facts/mont.htm it's a great state (at least what I remember from my visit) and I highly recommend anyone to visit it if they get the chance.

-Webmaster

6:38 AM  
Blogger Niczi said...

good to hear that you are enjoying montana scott...

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, montana must be as closed knit as can be, dude, no id needed! hey, im partnerintime12 from KOL

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heard this from my social studies teacher, nearly 50% of Montana's lakes are man-made... probably random, and not true, at that, seeing that the dude is probably high half the time. forget that jumble

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home