Saturday, May 24, 2008

Almost there...


Greetings blog readers. It’s that time again. No, not time to check the batteries in the smoke detector (well, maybe it is that time…why don’t you go check them now while you are thinking about it). No…it’s time to read what all has been going on lately.

The last few weeks have been somewhat rocky. I know that some of you are used to the ups and downs of that which is known as “Scott’s Life”…but this was…different. There really is no way to really describe it other than to say it was different. Certainly not a “good” different, and not necessarily a “bad” different. Just “different”. The important thing to note here is that I survived.

So, what exactly happened? Well, let’s start at the beginning.

Last Saturday, I went with a couple of the people I work with (Ms. Far Side, Mrs. Malta, Ms. Bird, Ms. Paralegal, and Ms. Bobcat) went to do the Race for the Cure here in Helena. The weather was a nice and warm 80+ and the sky was perfectly clear. I am pleased to say that Ms. Far Side and I both ran about 2 miles of the 3.2 mile race…and got sunburned in the process, but the sore muscles and sunburn were all for a good cause.

I also went to talk with Mrs. Lois’ husband (Superman, I think that’s what I’ve called him before…I went to their house to clean the deer that one time) about hunting this year and what I should be aware of and where to hunt and when and with what type of rifle (oh, did I mention I was going to hunt this year?) that I should look at. We decided that I should put off purchasing a rifle this year until I know for sure that I like hunting so that if I don’t, I didn’t waste a couple hundred dollars. While I was there, we had Elk tenderloin (was REALLY good!!!). The next day after work, I went by a local sporting goods store and purchased my deer license (which affords me the rights to hunt a deer of any flavor, anywhere in the state). I may end up purchasing another “tag” so that I can go with Superman to his hunting area in the Fall. My thoughts: I’m hunting for food…not for a trophy. This meat will go in my freezer and will feed me for many months…all for $26. Yes…and assuming I get the other tag (for $10), there will be PLENTY of meat for me (and whoever else wants some) for several months more.

As an aside, since I helped Superman clean the deer, I’ve become a pretty good deer venison cook…if I do say so myself. Plus, it’s better for you than beef!

I came home that night and signed up to do the Governor’s Cup 5k race on June 7th. I don’t plan on running all of this one (it’s a LOT harder, or so I’ve heard, because it’s half uphill…and yes, that means the other half is downhill, but that’s just as bad). What is my training regimen for this one? Well, I’m going to get up at 5:45 and get ready for work, ride my bike to work, work all day and then ride my bike home. Rinse and repeat. Not much of a training schedule, I know…but it’s something.

I was going to write more here…I know none of the above really explains the first bit about “different”…but I just think I’ll close with this: I wouldn’t be where I am if it weren’t for my friends…I cherish every one of you, even if I never really say it. The following song is for you all (except for the “high” parts):

1 Comments:

Blogger handamer said...

Hey brother!
I have been doing the race for the cure for the past 3 yrs now the fun run and half of the 3k nice thing is we don't have hills and what not here in good ole BR....

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home