Monday, May 12, 2008

Snow...in May?


Hello everyone. Before I begin, let me just say that the title of this post happened this morning here. I realize it wasn’t on the 9th (my first year here it snowed on one of my sister’s birthday, and the other one had her birthday on the 9th…so I tried), but still…snow in May? Apparently it CAN happen! So…winter makes it’s appearance around the middle of September, and will try to hang around till the beginning of May. Spring will be May and June, Summer is July, and Fall is August and part of September….which is pretty much the opposite of weather in Louisiana!

I got a call from Ms. Beatle (let me know if that name doesn’t work out for you!!) on Saturday morning asking if I wanted to go around to the Archie Bray place (pottery place here in town) to look at their things, and then to the Farmers Market. We were both going to go to Ms. Canada’s wedding scheduled for later on that day, so we had a finite amount of time. The Bray was cool if you are into pottery stuff, and the Farmers Market was also cool…as it usually is.

We were driving down a 4 lane street on our way across town for something she needed to pick up, when we noticed this brown Toyota with handicapped plates in the inside lane, just sitting there, with an elderly man just standing around. We passed him and both decided we should probably go back and help him, so we parked in a parking area about a block and half away. We start walking back and enjoy the nice weather. As we got closer, we looked up and a green Subaru had pulled in behind him. I thought maybe they were just going to push him using their car, which kinda made sense but could damage the car. The elderly man just got in the car, started it up, and drove off…with the green Subaru following closely behind. As near as we can tell, they got separated somewhere and he was just waiting for her while sitting in the middle of the road, and when she showed up, they took off again. As we walked back, Ms. Beatle asked if that counted as our Good Turn for the day, and I said I thought it did because at least we tried.

A bunch of us from work went to see Ms. Canada become Mrs. Formerly-Canadian. It was a really nice wedding with pure white doves flapping through the air, rose petals sprinkled everywhere, and a half-trained mountain lion as the ring bearer. Wait, it would have made more sense to say “and a half-trained brown bear as the ring bearer”…and I’m joking about all of it except for the fact that it was a nice wedding. Congrats to the both of you.

Smokey was in town this weekend as well. We got to hang out a bit…and it was nice to just relax. At Rook and Mrs. Rook’s house, I did a fair bit of cooking this weekend: Salmon (having never cooked it before…or any other fish for that matter), some steaks, corn and potatoes with Cajun seasonings, a apple dump cake…it was a lot of fun to cook and it all turned out pretty well, which I was happy about.

Anyway, just wanted to update everyone on how things are going (well) and how I’m doing (also well).

In other news, I would appreciate everyone remembering my grandmother…talked with my mom on Friday night, and my grandmother was diagnosed with colon cancer. She drove up to Kansas and is with her now. Will let you know how things go. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home