Sunday, May 07, 2006

On the Road Again...

Greetings one and all! I know it’s been a while since I last wrote, but those of you that frequent my blog realize that’s not anything new. So awaaaaaay we go!

Lots of things are going to be changing soon for groovy and I, and I want to let everyone know that doesn’t already know (ie: friends, distant relatives, people we don’t know etc).

On May 26th, groovy and I will begin a nice 33 hour long drive to Montana. It is there that we are going to be living! Yay! That’s right…we’re moving to “Big Sky” country. Way out there where moose roam free and there are no speed limits! Ok, so neither one of those are actually based off of anything but my opinions, but hey…this is my blog, so I’ll write what I want!

This has come as not much of a surprise for some (“I’m so happy for you! You’ll love it there!”), and quite a surprise for others (“Do they have internet there? Running water?”). For both sets of people, I can honestly say, I’m looking forward to this move for several reasons which I will outline here.

1) For those of you who have never been to the DC metro area, it’s a completely different world. Well, let me clarify that: it’s completely different than any place I’ve ever been. The people are ALWAYS on the go and are seriously into their jobs and moving up on the corporate ladder. This is all fine and good, but for the most part leaves little room for socialization, friendship, peace and a general sense of “belonging”. I honestly feel like I am walking around with a big “O” on my forehead that stands for “outsider”. I’m not trying to be bitter…it’s just how I feel.

2) Until recently, I could honestly say that I don’t have any friends here at all. This has changed over the last couple months through developing relationships at work with “Tomassa”, “XO” (he was in the Navy) and my supervisor “Curly” (her hair…she’s not a Stooge). Sure, we have hung out with people that groovy works with, but I never really had the time to adopt them as my friends too. They are great people, don’t get me wrong, and I enjoyed every minute with them…but I tended to do what I always do which is sit back and watch people interact.

3) I enjoy my job and, as I’ve already said, am genuinely going to miss some of the people I work with…but the job isn’t ideal for me. Before you say it, I know there isn’t anything really IDEAL for anyone…but this job…well, I’ll explain. I’m a morning person that has desires to increase my knowledge base as much as possible wile increasing my responsibility levels. Having said that, understand that I work the noon to 8pm shift at a school where the people are heavily entrenched in their positions. This doesn’t lead much possibility for me to move up or to learn new things.

4) Groovy, who previously was working for one of the alphabet soup groups that the government is full of, was not happy or designed to work with the people and organization she was with. This was starting to effect quite a bit of things and after thinking about it and doing tons of research, soul-searching and interviewing, she decided that she wanted to go back to school and get a degree in Social Work. So, she applied to one of the better schools in this field and was accepted (as if there were any doubt).

To be honest, there are other reasons, but those are the main reasons for leaving. We’ve experienced some upsets in the process so far, and I am sure there may be some more before we’re all settled in again in Montana…but you know what? We can handle it. We can handle it because we’re determined…and we’re going to make it happen!

3 Comments:

Blogger Raptor said...

I can relate, although I get little say in where we move to. Good luck.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Sun said...

I'm going to miss you guys so much! It's really too bad that just as we're getting settled on the east coast you moved out west. By the time Sir and I are ready to move out west, who knows where you will be!

We really had a good time hanging out with you in person. Maybe we'll have to take a trip out to Montana. I love it out there and I don't think Sir has spent much time in that area. I'd love to show it to him!

4:41 AM  
Blogger Sun said...

Forgot to say the most important thing - Best wishes and good luck!!!!

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home