Thursday, June 01, 2006

Go West, Young Man - Part 1


We made it. After a relaxing 42 hour drive…we finally made it to Montana. Ok, so the drive wasn’t relaxing at all…but we have, finally, gotten to our destination…and let me tell you, I’m glad.

After loading the truck with the help of two guys that I “hired”, groovy and I cleaned the apartment like it had never been cleaned before. I mean, that place was spotless! We were considering not leaving because it was so clean (only in a joking way, of course). We decided to use a tow dolly to bring the car along so that we could talk with one another and maybe have a more relaxing ride, so the last thing I did on Thursday evening was attempt to attach the car to the dolly. I pulled it onto the thing and then went to attach it so it wouldn’t come off as soon as I started to drive away. Well, as it turned out, one of the harness ratchet things was broken (we rented it that way…how nice!). I called U-Haul and, after being on hold for almost a half hour (oh how I am glad it wasn’t a REAL emergency!) I got in touch with someone who would send someone out to fix it in the morning.

We had planned to leave around 9:30-10am on Friday, so when I got the call from the U-Haul repair lady at 8:15 saying the guy would be there in an hour, I was elated. Unfortunately, the “one hour” wait turned into a three hour nightmare (“nightmare” only in that I was considering ways of returning the tow dolly and telling them I would never use their services again). I was upset. The guy finally got there at 11:30 and had it fixed in about 10 minutes. We left shortly after that.

If you’ve never driven through western Maryland or West Virginia, I’m going to try and paint a picture for you. You drive along in your 17” x 11” truck towing a Honda Civic in a just-repaired tow dolly through hills covered with huge trees at a mind-blowing 65 MPH (that’s the speed limit). Now, by “hills” I mean “something that would take all day to hike up to the top of…so be glad you’re driving that huge truck” and not “oh look! It’s a molehill!” Add on top of that the fact that it was POURING rain pretty much the whole way through…and you get an idea of what it was like – 45 MPH up the “hill” and 80 MPH down (it all averages out). Pennsylvania…well, we went through there also, but it was nothing to write home about.

We made it to Ohio and spent the evening with groovy’s sister (Doctor) and her folks. We had a great time just chatting and looking through Columbus (we got to see that we weren’t important enough to eat at Carrabas…that rocks!). That night, I slept like a rock. We woke up on Saturday morning and began the long leg of our trip…a 12 hour journey that would take us through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and into Kansas. We stopped in Indianapolis to have “breakfast” with Mr. and Ms. Postal, who groovy used to work with. The rest of that leg (although long) was rather nice. We arrived in Manhattan, Kansas around 8pm.

After eating supper with my mom, sisters, niece, grandmother and various other family members, I got to talk with one of my uncles (Cowboy) who used to live in North Dakota. He was saying that if we had room, he would be moving with us (unfortunately, he would have had to ride on top of the truck…so I guess it’s good for him that we didn’t have room). We were all converging on St George, Kansas (don’t bother looking for it on a map…I don’t think that you’ll find it) to celebrate my grandmother’s 80th birthday on Sunday. It was a surprise, but I don’t think she was that surprised after seeing the majority of her family in the same location. The birthday went off well, though and it was great to be able to chat with people that I haven’t seen since I was a kid (I mean like 20 years ago in some cases). Unfortunately, groovy and I had to leave to make it to Omaha.

The trip from Manhattan, Kansas to Omaha, Nebraska was, although only 3 hours long, the hardest part of the trip. Remember that truck that you imagined you were in earlier? Well, imagine driving that truck through 30-40 MPH winds that were coming from your side. Yeah…I was a big truck-sail driving (or tacking?) through the Nebraska plains…doing my best to keep all of our belongings (as well as ourselves) on the road and in one piece. I fought the truck the whole way. It was scary. At one point, I thought for sure that we were going over…but somehow the truck remained on the road (there were inches…literally…to spare). Sunday ended with us eating at Perkins for supper in Omaha, Nebraska.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know you guys made it ok, cant' wait for part 2.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it okay too. Take care and enjoy that beautiful "Big Sky" country up there. On a side note, I find it slightly intriguing that so often our path in live is very similar to our travel experiences… trying to reach a destination, long hours toiling away, short breaks and periods of rest and relaxation, sometimes just waiting for another event to happen (like a plane to arrive or a bus, etc…). The trip is a rewarding experience to itself, and the things we experience along the way can change who we are when we reach our destination, at times they can change our destination entirely. The purpose of the trip though is to reach a destination and eventually another trip will ensue. We travel through live in much the same way we travel through the world. I personally dread the long 4 hour trip to visit my parents (or her parents), not because if the destination, but because of the uncertainty and long hours trying to reach the destination. If you’ve ever been trapped in a vehicle with kids for hours on end, you’ll know what I mean. On my last trip to her parents (Easter), we were pulled over by the police in TX. I wasn’t speeding or anything, everyone was buckled, but apparently one of the headlights on her car was out (I’ve seen people driving through LA far worse). So we ask the officer where to find the nearest store where we could get a bulb on a Sunday night. After receiving a warning, we were instructed to go to a Wal-mart (yeah!, *sarcasm*) in the nearest town (20 miles away). While trying to get to this almost mythical Wal-mart, I was again pulled over by another cop (who also felt it was a crime that I had a head light out on my vehicle). After explaining to the 2nd officer who pulled me over in the space of 30 mins, that we were trying to get to the local Wal-mart to replace the bulb, he pointed us in the right direction and let us go. Finally we arrive at the fabulous, magical Wal-mart and I begin to open the hood and get the old bulb out while she went in the store to buy new bulbs. Being that we were in her car, I didn’t have my tools with me. So I’m sitting there trying to take this headlight apart with my swiss army knife, and a nice couple stops and asks me if I need some help. I explain that I could easily remedy the situation with a pair of pliers. The man was kind enough to give me an old set of pliers that he had in his vehicle, and he politely asked me if I knew Jesus Christ and God. Ironically, I believed I was experiencing the work of the Lord at that moment. After I got the pliers, the rest was easy. The thing I remember most about the trip though was not what happened once I reached my destination, but what happened along the way. A little deep for a Friday, but enjoy the trip, and may god be with you along every path you take towards your destination.

-Webmaster

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home