Tuesday, January 18, 2005

My weekend...the best ever.

I know I tend to be kinda negative in some of my blog posts. You know what? This one isn’t going to be anything like that. Nothing like that at all. This post is going to be a post about the best weekend that I have ever had in my entire life. That’s right…no weekend (or any other group of days) even comes close to comparing to the weekend I’ve just had.

My weekend actually started at 12 on Friday. I left work and came home to change clothes and load up my truck. I was off to Dallas to visit with my friend groovy. Groovy and I dated several years ago for almost 4 years (honestly, when you date for any extended period of time, it really doesn’t seem like that long). We broke up for what ever reason and 3 years have passed since I last saw her.

I arrived at the airport in Dallas shortly after 4 (the ironic thing is, her plane was taking off slightly before 4…so I was there at the airport for almost the length of time that she was in the air). I met two very wonderful people from north of Houston who I talked to for the 4 hours that I waited for groovy’s plane to arrive. They were great…really. I want to send them a card or something thanking them for talking with me. How goofy is that?!

Anyway, I was nervous when I noticed the monitor change from “On Time” to “Arrived”. I walked over to where the people would be coming out and waited there patiently. I saw her walk up the ramp from the plane and the world stopped. I heard nothing. I saw nothing. It was nirvana. She finally saw me and we hugged. It was the best hug I’ve ever had…no lie. We then went and talked to the couple that I had sat with for a bit, then went on our way.

The journey to the hotel was exciting. We ended up going down the wrong road down into the heart of downtown Dallas. There is nothing like downtown Dallas at 9pm, I can assure you. We took a random road off Hwy 75 thinking we could get back on the main road. That didn’t happen. I then decided I was going to take a left at this light. I turned left and saw headlights facing me. I quickly turned around a car that was sitting at THAT red light and had us heading in the right direction. Finally, we found I-35 and then back to I-635. Turns out, the road we wanted was in construction and the sign was missing. Go figure. We made it to the hotel fine and had Jack in the Box for supper (Subway was closed!).

We ate fries the Maryland way: old Bay seasoning and Malted Vinegar sprinkled across the top. Believe it or not (yeah, I know the combination sounds weird), it was freakin awesome! Groovy gave me my own Old Bay and Vinegar, so when I got home, I had my neighbor try it and even he liked it. It’s good, you should try it too.

After waking up on Saturday, we went to the Galleria mall in Dallas. It’s HUGE! Three floors of stores and there’s even an ice skating rink in the bottom floor (4 floors to the building). We ate lunch at Corner Bakery (we had this sandwich on Pretzel bread which was REALLY good and quite filling). We then went to the ice skating rink and, through several breaks for my cramping feet, proceeded to amaze the crowds with our ice skating abilities. Ok, so that’s pretend. In actuality, I think there were some people that were laughing at me (of course not groovy), but I didn’t mind at all. I was laughing and having a grand time as well. All in all, an excellent day. We spent the rest of the day talking. For supper, we got take-out at this place Mexican place called…well, I can’t remember, but they have the world’s largest burrito. I’m serious! Well, so they don’t advertise it that way, but I’m telling you, it was freakin huge!

Sunday, we agreed to have breakfast at IHOP, as I had never eaten there. If you ever eat at the IHOP in Dallas just off I-635 north of the Galleria, ask for Erica…she was the best waitress I’ve ever had. She was awesome! Also, the food at IHOP, if you’ve never been there, IS better than Waffle House. It is…I swear.

Anyway, after we ate breakfast, we went to downtown Dallas. Downtown Dallas during the day is pretty nice (as compared to 9pm, anyway). We walked quite a bit to figure out where we were (they have signs up everywhere showing you where to go to get to the historical areas). We checked out the JFK museum on the 6th floor of what used to be the Book Depository. Lots of history there. LOTS. Anyway, we then went looking for this Conspiracy Museum, but after asking for directions twice, we gave up and went back to the hotel. That evening, we had supper at Cappuccino which was, as you would imagine, an Italian food place. We had Chianti with our meal (I’m finishing the rest of it as I type this) and had a wonderful waiter there as well (“Would you like to take that home with you?” as he points to the half-bite of food left on groovy’s plate…we both laughed).

Monday was the worst day of my life. I didn’t want to take her to the airport at all. It was depressing. I left her there at about 11 and wanted to pull over along the side of the road to throw up. It was so depressing. I got home at 4, very sad. Things are great, though, for me. Why? Well, I’m now planning a trip to go up to see her in DC next month. February can’t come fast enough .

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like u had a friggin blast of a time and it's good to hear u had fun since I last seen ya..woo hoo..oh well laters

all the love from my left pinky toe.

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome man!! the tao of pooh may not of helped, but ill pretend like it did, haha. you need to take pictures next time and share em! seriously scott, im happy for you!

-Ryan

12:22 AM  
Blogger LaTech said...

I have pictures! I just don't know how to include them in this thing (hahaha!). Dude, it was awesome. You can ask groovy (as she has now read the Tao of Pooh also, or is in the process anyway)...the book helped a lot. Thanks a lot, bro!

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home