Monday, September 13, 2004

How dumb do I look?

First, please don't answer my question. While I seem to have quite a few people fooled as to my intelligence, I know just how smart I am...or rather, how dumb I am. So, like all rhetorical questions, please keep the answer that is on the tip of your tongue (fingers) to yourself.

Ok...so, here's the deal. A new faculty member just arrived today (yes, that's 1 month after the beginning of the semester). I had to go unlock her office (I'm something of a janitor, computer geek, strong back/weak mind, go get it person here) and chatted with her a bit. I then proceeded to go through the main office and told the women there that the new person had arrived. I got back to my office and was in the middle of something when the phone rings. The conversation goes like this:

"Hello"
"Hi, Scott. How are you?"
"Well...I'm..."
"Good. Listen, Mrs. *name* just arrived today and she's taking Mrs. *other name*'s old office."
"Yes, I'm aware of that. Thanks."
"Ok, well...there is no computer in her office."
"Yes, I'm aware of that. I had to take Mrs. *other name*'s computer out because Dr. *yet another name* was complaining that she didn't have a new computer. That was the only unused new computer in the building. I then took Dr. *yet another name*'s computer and put it in the faculty work room to upgrade that computer for new software."
"Ok. So, where is Mrs. *name*'s computer?"
"I'll see what I can do."

Now, the thing that frustrates the crap out of me is that fact that the secretary that called me was IN THE OFFICE when I went through there and informed them that she had arrived. Ok, so...here I am, telling everyone that Mrs. *name* arrived, and then I get told that Mrs. *name* arrived and that her computer was missing (and has been missing for, oh...about a month now). Goodness people, come on. Use some common sense here.

So...as a direct result of this infraction (as I see it, anyway), I'm going to seriously start looking for a new job. Not only do I dislike my present job, but I dislike the people I work with, the school and the state as a whole. It's not that I haven't been looking for a job, rather, it's that sometimes I forget the whole reason WHY I was looking for a new job to begin with. It's time like these that reinforce the desire to leave.

-LT

2 Comments:

Blogger Sun said...

That sounds like our office. And...unforunately... a lot like "Office Space."

9:37 AM  
Blogger Raptor said...

I just landed in a 25 knot direct crosswind with gusts up to 40 kts facing a Category 4 hurricane. We were hammered all the way down the pipe but right at the bottom, I kicked all the rudder in and dropped the wing and sweetly kissed the runway, one main, the other main, then the nose wheel! Thats one heck of an awesome feeling when all the days HARD work comes to a lovely landing. Thats job satisfaction! I rather enjoy my "office" especially since I don't really have the same problems you do. Good luck and I agree with your desire to punch out of that popsicle stand!

Look into places like Lockeed Martin, Northrup Grumman, Boeing, and any other defense contractors. They are doing some awesome work in your field (or so I would imagine). Just my $0.02.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home