Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Subservience…is it all it’s cracked up to be?

From the earliest times that I can remember, my parents have always told me, “The best thing you can be is a servant to others.” That is, the best thing you can do is to help people all the time. On some levels, I guess I can agree with this, but I can definitely see where this attitude can cause several problems not only with ones self, but also with the people that one chooses to associate with (namely significant others).

Let’s take work for an example real quick. From time to time, I am requested to do things for other people. Now, by other people, I mean: students, faculty or staff. Now, I have no problem helping out students; after all, they are the reason that I get paid every month! The problem is when one of the faculty or staff comes to me asking me to do some of their work so that they don’t have to. For instance: “Scott, I need to go back to my office for a second. Could you watch these students?” Of course I say, “Sure!” The second turns into five minutes, and finally a half hour. Frustrated, I walk away from the lab that the students that are in it (where they are supposed to be supervised).

Or, take friends for example. I have a friend that is CONSTANTLY asking me to do things for him. It’s not like I’m doing anything important or anything. So, I try to help him out as best I can, and then when I get back home to try and do the things that I need/want to do, there is no time, or I’m tired or whatever. On top of that, it’s never just one instance of him asking for something. It’s incessant. There is never really a time when we just sit there and talk. It’s always either about work, or him wanting me to do something for him. That’s not right!!! This causes great frustration for me that I, unfortunately, complain about.

Personally, I think it’s better to complain (express one’s feelings) about a thing than to let it build up and explode out of you at some later date when the thing that caused the frustration is long forgotten by everyone in the free world BUT you, and then when you DO blow up, everyone looks at you and says, “My goodness! Where did that come from? He always was such a patient person!” It’s crap, I tell you…CRAP!

I’m tired of being everyone’s doorstep. I’m tired of letting people take advantage of me. I’m tired of doing everyone else’s work and letting them reap the benefits. I’m tired of not being recognized for what it is that I actually do. I’m tired of these feelings of frustration that well up inside me when I say “Yes” when I really mean, “Do it yourself!!!!”

So…if I’m tired of all of this…what do I do? I’ll tell you…I don’t know. The logical thing to do would be to start expressing what I REALLY think about helping some people. That, unfortunately, goes against the grain of everything that I am and have been for the last 28 years. So, back to key question: What do I do? Well, dear reader…you tell me. What do I do? How do I stop this vicious cycle of subservience?

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sup my brother....I see your in the same boat I am in..don't really know what to tell u because I sit there and tell myself that im not going to be the doorstep anymore and bam im right back into it..so I dunno what to tell ya on that one..anywho hope your doing good..im still pushing looking for a job....
laters bro
Will

11:52 AM  
Blogger *~*Michelle*~* said...

I totally get where you are coming from, and sadly, I think the only resolution is to say no occasionally and ask for what you want when you want something. Be direct even when it's hard.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said it your self, YOU are letting... Stop letting others dictate your life and start living your life. Stop following, grow a set and start living YOUR life. F*#k the rest.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^
I don't think he can grow a set...
I still have His in my glass jar from from playing War games in high school but they are growing nicely in that jar.....BUDAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all the love from my pinky toe

9:48 AM  
Blogger LaTech said...

Oh HELL no! Will, you punk! jk bro. Hope you're doing well.

I realize that it's all a mental game. That once I make up my mind about a thing, that there is nothing that can stop me. Literally.

In a way, I've already started the next phase of the personal transition. I told my neighbor/friend that I couldn't help him several times last night (he's a stubborn guy, what can I say?). As it turns out, he figured out what he was doing wrong in the end and didn't need my help anyway, but that's not the point.

It's all about choice. That's what it all boils down to. I CHOOSE to let people take advantage of me. I CHOOSE to let the things that I want not happen. No more, my friends...no more.

This is a new and determined Scott. It's going to take time...but, I have determination and support.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Raptor said...

war games.......good times.....

The Chief

1:39 PM  
Blogger LaTech said...

Chief, you need to email your addie man! I'm a little on the slow side and I don't know where I put it (I think it was before my computer crashed anyway). Hope you're doing well, also.

And Michelle, before I forget, thanks for posting! And, I hope you're doing well.

Saint, what can I say about you, man? You're messed up. Then again, we get along well, so that probably means something about me as well. ;) Hope you get your job!

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ehh cheif??? our cheif ??? or is this another cheif u speak of??
if it is the chief im thinking of he needs to give me his email addie cause I sure don't have it or atleast the one I have isn't the correct on /shrug

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how many chiefs do you know?!?! There is but one thank you very much ;-)

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

after a brief search, LaTech will have to update you on my addie. I don't have yours. Later.....

9:52 PM  
Blogger LaTech said...

It used to be his initials followed by his b-day followed by @hotmail.com

But, he may have changed it. Speaking of, did you get my email on the 26th of last month, Buddah? ;-)

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nope I didnt get your email why and what was the 26th? and was it important? and which email did u send it to? and I tried that initaial with hotmail.com and sent it back to me so he must have changed it. like a little bish

11:13 AM  
Blogger Raptor said...

this is fun...

11:41 AM  
Blogger LaTech said...

Will, you tard. I was saying that YOUR email address could be determined by that code. Goober! Anyway...I sent you a happy b-day note...but I guess you didn't get it. Happy late b-day then!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we always had fun when we all hung out I miss them days....I never got no bday note from ya oh well it happens guess the postmaster of the internet seen u didn't put money in that email /shrug I have no clue anywho i'll try and give u a shout or something and shoot the S#$t some...laters

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home