Monday, March 14, 2005

The Rumors of my Demise are Greatly Exaggerated

I know it’s been a little while since I last wrote, but I’ve really been busy what with working, traveling all over, cleaning, going through my stuff at the apartment and everything else that I’ve been doing that I can’t seem to think about at this time. So, while I realize that being busy is no real excuse for not writing, it’s the only thing I can come up with. Just to prove how busy I’ve been, I’ll let you in on what all has been going on (please be sure to add in around 40 hours of work each week as well as around that many hours of sleeping).

The weekend before last, after going through all the stuff at my apartment and determining what stuff I wanted to keep and what stuff I didn’t, I loaded up my truck with stuff that I didn’t want and went to Baton Rouge to visit with my family (and to give my sisters all the stuff I didn’t want). When I say the truck was full, I’m not saying that the wheels were close to rupturing or anything of the sort…the cab of the truck was, indeed, almost completely full (I could still see out the windows and stuff), but the back of the truck was all but empty (it contained a steamer truck from 1871 or something that I worked on once upon a time). Anyway, I went to Baton Rouge and spent a fairly relaxing weekend there with my sisters, parents and various other family members. I had coffee with one of my sisters at * insert coffee shop name here that is found on every corner in the world * and both of my sisters, my younger sisters husband and I went to best Buy to look for music. I ended up purchasing one of the Saturday Night Live greatest moments DVD’s that was pretty funny.

I came back home on Sunday, but not before stopping off at groovy’s parents house (they live near Baton Rouge). The visit went well, over all. I mean, nobody threw anything and my life wasn’t threatened (at least, I don’t think it was) and we just talked about current events and family stuff…nothing overly exciting. I was hoping to be able to prove that I was a different person and that the mistakes that I’ve made in the past taught me valuable lessons that did sink in and that I’ve made strides toward becoming the person that I know that I am supposed to be. Honestly, I don’t think I got those points across. After spending 3.5 hours driving home and thinking about it the whole way (and I actually drank a soda which I hadn’t done since May of 2001), I was rather upset and had written the whole experience off as a complete failure. Groovy and I talked after I got home and she assured me that everything went well and that I didn’t fail. That made me feel a little better, and, over time, I’ve decided that she must be right (logic, after all, makes more sense when emotion isn’t involved).

On Wednesday of last week, I went to work with a bad migraine and wasn’t feeling all that chipper. I went to * local catfish place * with my neighbor and a friend of ours for lunch. After getting back to work, my headache got worse and I decided that I probably needed to go home and go to bed, so I did that. I was “watching” The Princess Bride while sleeping, and I woke up not feeling very well. Actually, I was feeling quite queasy. I got to the bathroom and ended up being quite sick. Actually, I was sick pretty much from then till 3:30 the next morning. I finally got to sleep for a bit (from 3:30 – 6) and then called groovy to tell her that she really might want to rethink visiting this weekend. She assured me that she wanted to visit and that I might want to think about going to the doctor so I could start to feel better (at this point, I couldn’t walk around the apartment without being dizzy and feeling ill, added to this the fact that my hear was POUNDING with every beat of my heart). I talked to one of the ladies that I work with and she ended up bringing me some Gatorade that I promptly put in the fridge (I couldn’t think about eating or drinking anything yet). I called the doctor and they told me that I better come see the doctor ASAP. ASAP ended up being an appointment for 11:15 (very soon…hahah). Well…I was laying there on the couch trying to figure out how I was going to drive myself to the doctor’s office when I could barely walk across the room when my neighbor came by to see how I was doing. Apparently, I didn’t look that good and he offered to take me, which I, of course, accepted. So, after showering (an ordeal in itself) and dressing, we went to the doctor’s office at 11:15 only to wait (after filling out paperwork) till 12:10. The whole time I’m sitting there, my head is pounding and I can barely keep my head up. I was pretty bad off. When I got to see the doc, he looked at me for about 3 seconds and then decided that he wanted to see if I had the flu. I told him I didn’t, but he didn’t believe me (if only I would have bet him the cost of the lab tests!). For a flu test, they stick a q-tip to the VERY back of your nose. I’m not talking only an inch in…I mean, they touch the back of your skull with the thing! Anyway, the tests came back negative (of course), and he ended up saying I had a sinus infection (well no wonder! You just jammed a piece of cotton through there!) and prescribed some antibiotics and sent me on my way (I think he wanted to get rid of me because he didn’t know what I had and that scared him). Personally, I think I had food poisoning and I will never eat catfish again in my life (and maybe fries, I haven’t quite decided yet).

Anyway, there I was…it was 2 in the afternoon. Ten hours from then, I was supposed to pick up groovy from the airport, and I could barely walk around my own apartment. I sat down and drank some Gatorade and then took a short nap (the best thing to do when you aren’t sure what to do). When I woke up, my headache was gone, as was the nausea (as it turns out, I was severely dehydrated and needed the vitamins and liquids). I ended up eating about a half a bowl of soup that night and went to get groovy (although I almost fell asleep on the road, and in the airport while waiting) at 11:36pm.

We made it home safely (I didn’t drive…thanks groovy!).

Friday, I woke up feeling better, but still not 100%. I ended up eating some cookies for breakfast (not the best thing, I know) and some juice. We ended up going to my work so that she could meet the oldies that I work with along with some of the students that were interested in meeting her. As it turns out, NONE of the students were there that said they would be (no big loss) and we got to meet a lot of the people that I work with including Dr. Ornery. Four of the faculty went to Ryan’s to eat with groovy and I. I was able to eat half a salad and 3 bites of chicken and some jello, but nothing else. We left there shortly after that and went to this jewelry store called Beehive (http://www.beehivecentral.com/company.asp ) where groovy looked all over at the stuff that they had. Then we went to Follette Pottery (http://www.follettepottery.com/) and hung out there for a while. They have some really interesting things there that you should look at if you’re ever in town (also, Mr. Follette, you can mail my check to the usual address!). Friday evening, we went to the Dawg House with my neighbor and his family, but I wasn’t able to eat really any of my meal and ended up taking it home.

Saturday morning, I woke up starving (it had been, in all effects, Wednesday morning since I had eaten anything that had amounted to anything). We went out to get waffles and I was actually able to eat one along with a glass of OJ and a glass of water. We then went to Wal-Mart to get some things that we needed to fix some cookies that we were going to bring to our friend’s house that evening (as well as some milk to fix some cheesecake that we ended up bringing). I was feeling more like myself at this point and was able to joke around a lot more. We got to Mr. Audio and Mrs. Teacher’s house at 6 and had a great evening there playing with their kids (Pele Jr. and Barbie), as well as watching what very well may be the funniest show that I’ve ever seen (MXC!!!).

Sunday, we cooked waffles for breakfast (yeah, I know…why didn’t we do that the FIRST time?! Look…we didn’t want to, ok?!) and then sat down to start planning our next trip. We were, at one time, going to go to Hershey and then to New York City…but we’ve decided that we aren’t going to do that this time after all. Instead…are you sitting down?…we’re going to go to Niagara Falls and to Toronto! Yeah! Neither one of us have ever been there (heck, I’ve never been to New York state or to Canada either for that matter), and it’s supposed to be REALLY nice this time of year. Well, really nice year round…but with all the ice and snow (it was 14 degrees there this morning!). There are several interesting things there to see and do, but I don’t want to say anything yet…that’ll be for next time!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you got to feeling better before Groovy had to leave. SOunds like it turned into a pretty good weekend before it was all said and done.

Oh yeah take some pics at Niagra Falls. I would like to see that before my short time on this earth is over.

Drifter

12:07 PM  
Blogger Raptor said...

I can't believe how long it has taken me to put 2 and 2 together. I am excited for you. Now, I have to get back to "learning how to fly".

Raptor

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you get that much SLEEP? Wait till you have kids... If you think you're busy now. HAHAHAHAHAHA...

Webmaster :-)

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home