Thursday, September 20, 2007

Catch 22


I don’t think it will come as much as a surprise to people that know me…but I’ve been having a really hard time the last couple weeks. The thing is, every little thing seems to be the last possible thing I can handle. I’m usually a pretty resilient guy that can handle a lot of things that are thrown at me…but lately, this hasn’t been so.

Take, for instance, the other night: I decided that I was going to make pumpkin bread as it was Fall here in Montana and nothing says “Fall” like pumpkin bread and the smell of it wafting through the house. I had all the ingredients that one would need to make the bread (sans shortening…you can substitute margarine for shortening…did you know that? Thanks for that info Kung-Fu Queen!).

I started mixing things up and measuring things out. The margarine hadn’t reached room temp yet, so it was too hard…so I nuked it which had disastrous results (margarine explodes in the microwave!)…but I was able to make it work anyway. Then, I grabbed the ¼ measuring cup and read it as 1/3 cup. I measured out the flour and, when I thought I was through, looked at the cup again…and almost started crying. It wasn’t what I thought it was and, as such, my measurements were off. Groovy came into the kitchen and explained to me that it wasn’t a big deal because I measured UNDER what I thought I had (which was true…thanks), so I was able to finish the bread, which turned out VERY good.

It was that moment of near breakdown that scares me.

I’ve come to realize that depression is a MAJOR Catch 22. I’ll explain: There are certain things that you can do that will make you feel better (exercise, getting outside, doing hobbies, etc). Unfortunately for the depressed person, these things aren’t done. It’s not that I can’t see myself enjoying these things…it’s the IDEA of the thing that seems totally overwhelming. I can’t even imagine mustering up the desire, the will…the WANT…to do them. I know in my mind that if I go exercise, that there is a pretty good chance that I’ll feel better about things and that I’ll be able to start feeling better as a whole…but for some reason, I can’t even will myself to even START doing them.

And that’s sad.

I have my second meeting with my Dr. today at noon. I can only hope that soon I’ll be given the tools that I need to beat this thing...because right now, the only one taking a beating is me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wrote that perfectly Scott! Take it slow no one said you had to run a 5k, instead go for a walk around the block, make pancakes or watch scrubs while doing situps. Loves and hugs!
E

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tools to combat depression include but are not limited to: consuming massive ammounts of chocolate-chip cookie dough ice cream and chocolate (or insert your favorite flavor) cake. This treatment may lead to physical concerns, but when the alternative is to be skinny and depressed or fat and happy, well, the choice is up to you. Seriously though, with my wife being a diagnosed bipolar, I know where you're coming from (sometimes she would take me along for the emotional roller-coaster ride, WEE!!!). In her case she decided to get help and take her meds and dedicate herself to maintaining her well-being for the sake of herself and our family. There's nothing wrong with getting help (just make sure you stick with it), and if the alternative is being miserable, who would want to go through life that way? I find that a positive outlook and a little perspective do wonders, but if the problem is a chemical imbalance, then all the happy thoughts in the world won't make a bit of difference (in that case take some happy pills and enjoy a coke and a smile; I personally find fishing to be very therapeutic, although not very athletic). Also, don't get disappointed, you're in good company, many important men throughout history, such as Abraham Lincoln, have suffered ongoing battles with depression. Remember you can address the situation and "own" your depression, you don't have to let it own you... Hope that helps. FYI. Elliot Andrew Morgan was born two weeks ago today (7lbs. 2oz) and is very healthy and keeping me up most of the night. I wish you all the best, and I hope things will improve for you.

-Webmaster

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, I haven't read your posts in months. I happened upon your latest tonight as I opened one of my 126 messages that I am just now reading ( I know this will be no surprise to you.) I am very sorry about your struggles at this time. I had to read back on your posts some months to see what I thought may have triggered this. The truth is that it doesn't really matter what got you to this point, but that you work your way through this. I think it is wonderful that you are seeing someone with a neutral opinion that is very hopefully reassuring you and helping you with your coping mechanisms. I do want to remind you that grief is a process-shock, disbelief, denial, bargaining, anger, and then resolution. We all do these things in our own time. I hope this is a very short season of your life that you battle this and that soon, very soon friend, you can belly laugh and find joy in things and life again. Your Louisiana friend, Heather

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home