Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Where have you been?!


Hello one and all. It is I…Scott…back from whatever sort of adventures you may or may not think that I’ve been engaging in. Don’t let your imagination run away with you now…the life of a computer geek really isn’t that exciting or glamorous.

Here it is, September already. Seems impossible, to be perfectly frank. I mean, wasn’t it just May the other day? Wasn’t I looking forward to accomplishing all these lofty goals for the summer (you know…like “Get a hair cut” and “Remember to wear deodorant for a change”)? What all has happened to the time?

May and June were a blur. I don’t remember much that happened during this time and even if I did, I doubt that there would be much to tell. Why is it that as time goes on, it gets faster? Honestly, May and June weren’t much fun…can we just forget that they happened?

July arrived on the scene like a lion (get it…lion…Leo…get it?!). Ok, so it was a hot lion…and by “hot” I don’t mean “as good looking as Ashley Judd” I mean “it’s over 100 again?!” And the fires started. Fires and smoke…2 of the wonderful things you get to experience whilst living in Montana during the summer months. Not that this ruined the summer…not at all! The reminders that “the young, elderly and those with breathing problems should not go outdoors today” over the airwaves did nothing to stop me from enjoying…from enjoying…well, I’m sure I enjoyed something. I know what it was…

My folks visited! We got to hang out for a week or so, driving about, digging for sapphires (we got some nice ones!), hiking, driving some more, walking about Helena and generally just trying to relax (something I admit I have a hard time doing). I also learned how to make Strawberry and Cherry Jelly (thanks mom!). There really is nothing like cooking down jelly when it’s 100+ degrees outside and in (no thanks to the little window AC I bought that would trip the breaker every 10 minutes). It was all a lot of fun and I’m glad that they visited and had a good time (next time, come in May or August when it’s NICE out!).

August came and the 100+ degree temps dropped to 90+ degrees. I know it doesn’t seem like much, but 10 degrees can make an otherwise warm day seem unbearable. It was really nice with evening temps hovering around 60. We had the official end of summer weekend this last weekend with 90+ degree temps…but that all ended today with some rain, a cool front…and a week full of 70+ degrees ahead of us.

Work has been a chore. The middle of August brought about Phase 1 of the phone system install (geeky folks: We purchased a Cisco VOIP phone system with a presence server and video phone capabilities…it’s bad to the bone!). Honestly, the install went better than I thought it would…only had about 28 hours of overtime that pay period instead of the 40 that we all thought we would have. Yay! We still have two more phases of the project to go through (one at the end of this month and the other…well, it’s later on). Here’s hoping the second two parts go as well as the first did.

The final thing I want to talk about is this: I’m fighting a pretty bad case of depression. Have been for some time, actually. I haven’t been able to figure out when it all started, but as near as I can tell, sometime around the beginning of the year. For those that I see/interact with on a daily basis, this may come as something of a surprise…but I promise it’s the truth. Unfortunately, I wasn’t aware of what was really going on until early last week when I didn’t think I could go on anymore. I was as close to the bottom of the barrel as I hope ever to get. It’s not a pretty place to be and I hope nobody that ever reads this will EVER have to get that close to the bottom.

Why am I telling you this? Why am I airing out this rather personal part of my life? I’m doing it in the hopes that 1) I find it cathartic in some way, 2) you may understand why I’ve acted the way I have for a while and 3) if I’ve acted in a way in which I normally wouldn’t act, that you would understand that I haven’t been myself…and that I’m sorry.

Looking forward…things will get better. They already are. Here’s to more better days!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have always got a friend in me, TWG. Reason enough to push through on those "bad days"...one friend. Luckily, you have a gazillon of friends so there is lots of love to go on for years and years. Keep us posted on your progress and keep those forearms below the wheel-thingie (you know, pulling out of a nose drive in an airplane)....you have to break a sweat, but as soon as you "resume speed"...you'll breath a sigh of releif and see the clouds again...you're on your way up now...just by talking about it.

VHS

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I've said it before and I'll tell you again, your friends are always here for you, meself included. We've got your back nomatter whats going on in your life. Thats what we do.
In keeping with this airplane theme going here, I'll say....tail winds and blue skies my friend!

Raptor

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home