Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Fear drives me to do what I do...and what I don't do.

Fear.

Fear is as much a part of our lives as love, happiness and onion rings. It can make you into a coward who will do nothing at all for yourself, or it can make you brave enough to do things you've only dreamed of. I battle fear just like everyone else who is alive on this Earth.

Some fears are rational. The fear of spiders, of heights, of snakes...these fears come about due to a sense of wariness and or a desire not to be dead. Some of these fears are given to us by our parents. I, for example, was afraid of snakes and heights as a child. My mother shares, or rather gave me, these fears. Do they control my life? No. Since my childhood, several situations have come about that have 'cured' me my fear of these things. For heights, I've been able to conquer this through my jobs that I've held. On my first day on one job, I was to go to the top of the 200' tower and terminate the end of a cable. The tower was metal, but you could see the ground far below. As for snakes, well...there's nothing like having a snake that's easily 3" in diameter slithering over your bare feet to cure you of that!

Some fears are irrational. The fear of the dentist, doctors, the unknown...these fears, I think, come about simply because there is a potentail for much harm. If you went to the dentist and they told you that you had 10 cavities, and needed 2 root canals...you would be in a world of hurt. If you went to the doctor because of some ache or pain, or say you vomited on a regular basis, the doctor could tell you that you had throat cancer, or worse, that you were terminally ill. This fear, dear reader, has gripped me for months...the fear of the unknown.

For years, I have fought with acid reflux, like so many other people. Last night, I had a scare that has caused me to get over one of my fears to such a degree that I am willing to go to the doctor about this problem where in the past, I would just treat it myself. Last night, I went to sleep as usual and was resting quite nicely when I woke up, sat up-right in bed and took a sharp breath in. Along with life-sustaining air, stomach acid also entered my lungs causing me to cough violently. For almost an hour, I literally coughed acid out of my lungs. I feel as though I could have died...either due to the acid, or due to the inability to breathe liquids. This morning, as I began to take my shower, I coughed up and spat out some blood. This also disturbed me greatly.

So, I have appealed to a dear friend of mine who's significant other worries about him even more than I do. I made a deal with him (after telling him my story) that I would make an appointment for myself just as soon as he made one for himself. Sometimes we do the things we want to do...other times, we do the things we have to do. I know you will eventually read this...if I didn't love you, I wouldn't worry about you, man. I'm serious, you go...I go. Don't let either one of us down. -S

4 Comments:

Blogger LaTech said...

The most debilitating thing to fear is one's self.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Sun said...

GO TO THE DOCTOR.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Sun said...

BOTH OF YOU.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Sun said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home